This tilapia sauce recipe is one of my favorite things ever, in fact it’s going into the extended version of the Lose it Nigeria cookbook. I like how healthy and fresh it is. It’s totally more delicious than the time it takes to prepare. If you are looking for a quick weeknight recipe that is delicious and fast, this is one to try.
- 1 whole Tilapia Fish
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper (tatashe)
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Small Onion (peeled)
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet peppers (ata-rodo)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (peeled)
- Small pieces fresh ginger (peeled)
- 2 sprigs basil or efirin (scent leaf)
- 1-2 Maggi cubes
- Salt – to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
- Clean and cut tilapia into steaks . Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place peppers, tomatoes and onion in a pot and cover with some water. Steam on medium-high heat for 10 minutes
- Drain water out of the steamed peppers. Combine in the blender with basil, blend until smooth
- Place a pot on low-medium heat. Add in tilapia, pour over the sauce. Season with maggi and salt to taste. Add in oil if using. Simmer covered for 12-15 minutes.
Your sauce is ready to serve, enjoy with some boiled rice