Easiest Way to Cook Ofada Stew This 2017
Ofada Rice and stew is a Nigerian meal native to the Yorubas but in recent times, everyone, especially those in Abeokuta and environs, has been bitten by the Ofada Rice bug.
Techjollof.com brings to you the easiest way on how to cook Ofada rice stew.
Ofada Rice is not very interesting. It is not as posh as the long grain parboiled rice. The “best” part? It has this strong pungent smell when it is being cooked yet everyone wants to eat it! I guess it is because Nigerians have a penchant for all things traditional and home grown. We have a sense of pride in all things Nigerian that we can call our own.
Or maybe it’s the stew because I must say the Ofada Stew adds a delicious twist to Ofada Rice.
Easiest Way to Cook Ofada Stew This 2017 Ingredients for Ofada Stew
- Unripe habanero peppers
- Tatashe pepper or green bell peppers
- Locust bean seasoning (Iru, ogiri okpei or dawadawa)
- Red palm oil
- Assorted meat and fish
Easiest Way to Cook Ofada Stew This 2017: Before you cook Ofada stew
- Wash and blend the peppers and the onion. Remember to remove the seeds from the green tatashe or the green bell peppers.
- Grind the crayfish and the locust bean seasoning with a dry mill.
- Cook all the meat and fish with the stock cube till well done.
- Pour the pepper blend into a separate pot and cook on high heat till all the water dries up.
- Pour the red palm oil into a clean dry pot and bleach till it turns clear. It should look like vegetable oil when done. It took me 12 minutes on low to medium heat to bleach the one in the video below. Your own time may vary depending on the type of heater you have and the quantity of oil.
- Leave the oil to cool down a bit then add the boiled pepper puree. Fry till all the water has dried from the pepper.
- Add the crayfish and locust bean seasoning, the orisirisi meat and fish and stir well.
- Add salt to taste, leave to simmer and it is ready to be served.
Serve with boiled Ofada Rice. To get the full effects, line the plate with uma leaves. You can also use banana leaves.