A project has a single objective that must be accomplished through the completion of tasks that are unique and interrelated.A project is a collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned to achieve a particular aim.
- Brief definition of a Project
- Project planning activity
- What is a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)?
- Time estimation
- Uncertainty in Time Estimates
- Time Duration
- Methods to Track Time
- Identifying Resources
- Assigning Resources
- Project Planning Summary
- What Do You Manage?
- Structures for Time Management
- Commitment Management Exercise
PROJECT PLANNING ACTIVITIES
- What is your project name?
- What is the main goal of your team’s project?
- Define the project’s scope.
- Implement the plan & control the process.
- Short list of resources needed.
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)?
- What field your team members fit in share accordingly.
- Share the project into fields.
- Give time limit according to the project schedules.
WHAT IS WORK BREAKDOWN STRUCTURES
- A hierarchical representation of activities.
- It starts with the major project areas to be accomplished.
- It breaks the project areas into actionable pieces of work, segmenting elements into appropriate sub-levels.
- If feasible, have person responsible make the estimate.
- Should take into account the resources needed for the activity.
- Do not overestimate to account for everything that can go wrong.
- Keep in mind the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy .
UNCERTAINTY IN TIME ESTIMATE
Some activities will take longer and others will go faster than expected
Sources of uncertainty:
- Varying knowledge and skills
- Individual difference in approaching work
- Mistakes or misunderstandings
- Unexpected events (!!)
Managing a project requires awareness of two time frames
1.The amount of effort a task will take (in time), e.g., 3 hours to write a report.
2.The calendar span over which the activity will occur, e.g., the report will be done within a week.