Party jollof rice is a dish everyone loves, most especially if you are a Nigerian. While many try to cook this dish, the smoky effect which is typical to jollof rice served in parties is missing.
Which leaves many people wondering how those caterers achieve the tasty and delicious Jollof rice with smoky effect, they consume at occasions.
If you have been wanting to know how to cook this dish, you do not have to worry anymore. This article will help you with all you need to do to achieve this smoky party jollof rice the next time you are cooking your jollof rice.
In the average Nigerian’s lifetime, Jollof rice would have been eaten in thousands of portions. Whatever number you can think of in your head, if you happen to live in Nigeria, double that number.
Would you believe that Jollof rice did not originally come from Nigeria? No, it did not. Jollof rice actually has its origins in Senegal, from the Wolof ethnic group and it spread across West Africa. So, shout out to the people of the Senegambia region for giving us this dish.
Party Jollof rice tends to be much more delicious with the added Smoky burnt flavor.
- 2/3 cup of cooking oil
- small onion (chopped)
- 4 cups rice
- 4 cups broth (meat stock)
- 2 cup parboiled blended stew base
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each (curry, thyme, white pepper)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Seasoning cube 2-3 cubes
- Sliced tomato and onion (as desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
There are two schools of thought regarding cooking Jollof rice. You can join whichever camp works for you.
Suggest, frying the sauce, dilute it to make a stock and pour in the uncooked rice. Let it boil in that stock till the rice is soft. Sure, this method works fine.
Suggest pre-boiling the rice – which already starts the cooking process and gets rid of the starch that causes the rice grains to clump together. Then you fry the sauce till it is thick, and combine both together with water and beef stock.
You gauge the volume of liquid that you use and top up if necessary, so as to allow the Jollof rice burn a little to achieve that Smokey flavor.
For this article we will focus on the first method of cooking the Smokey party jollof rice.
Party Jollof Rice cooking procedure
- Place a pot on medium heat, heat up oil
- Add in sliced onion. Fry until slightly browned. Add in spices and bay leaf. Stir
- Add in tomato paste. Stir fry. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in pepper mixture. Stir-Fry. Cover and cook 5 minutes
- Add in stock, seasoning cube and salt. Stir. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Stir in drained washed rice. Reduce heat to medium low (2-3 on marked cooker). Seal pot with foil then cover with lead.
- Leave to cook for 30 minutes. No need to stir or open.
- Stir in butter, sliced tomatoes and onions. Increase heat to high (This is where the smokiness happen). Leave for 5-8 minutes or just until you can smell the burn. Turn off heat. Leave to rest covered for 10 minutes before serving.
Your Smokey Party Jollof Rice is ready!
Don’t cook this in a non-stick pot or heavy metal based pots that prevent food from burning. This is party Jollof rice people, you want it to burn a little.
Keep some of that rich fried tomato sauce. You will need it for your fried/grilled chicken, meats and fish plus dodo gizzard.
Make some party jollof rice for yourself and family this festive season, feel free to share your recipe in the comment section below.